The 2021/22 League Two Season came to a close on Saturday 7th May 2022, with Champions being Forest Green Rovers, who gain promotion to Third Tier of English Football for the first time with Exeter City securing Runner’s Up spot, Bristol Rovers securing a final day promotion with a remarkable 7-0 victory against already relegated Scunthorpe United, a successful season for clubs in that region of the country in League Two. Northampton Town, Port Vale, Swindon Town and Mansfield Town will compete in the Playoffs for the final promotion place.
I want to take a look at the kits worn during the league stage of the season (not including Play Offs).
- 1104 Kits worn (552 Games)
- 86 Different Kit variations used by the 24 teams.
- Home Kits – 36% of Kit variations used
- 25 Home Kits worn
- 6 Home Kit variations worn
- Away Kits – 33% of variations used
- 25 Away Kits worn
- 3 Away Kit variations worn
- 3rd Kits – 26% of variations worn
- 17 3rd Kits worn
- 6 3rd Kit variations worn
- Special Kits – 5% of variations worn
- 4 Special Kits worn
Overview of Kits Worn
Kit Log – Match 1 to Match 15
Kit Log – Match 16 to Match 30
Kit Log – Match 31 to Match 46
Looking in more detail at the kit variations worn by the League Two Teams
- Walsall wore 10 Kit Variations
- Home x3, Away x3, 3rd x4
- Full Details can be found here
- 11.5% of all kits worn in League Two
- Rochdale wore 6 Kit Variations
- Home x2, Away, 3rd x3
- 3 Teams wore 5 Kit Variations
- Colchester United – Home, Away x2, 3rd, Special Kit
- Stevenage – Home x2, Away, 3rd, Special Kit
- Tranmere Rovers – Home x2, Away, 3rd x2
- Bradford City wore 4 Kit Variations
- Home, Away, 3rd, Special Kit
- 15 Teams in 3 Kit Variations
- 3 Teams in just Home and Away Kits, 2 Kit variations
- Carlisle United
- Newport County
- Scunthorpe United
- Most Variations of Home Kit – 3 Kits
- Walsall – Red / White / Green, All Red, Red / Red / Green
- Most Variations of Away Kit – 3 Kits
- Walsall – Green / Green / Red, All Green, Green / Green / White
- Most Variations of 3rd Kit – 4 Kits
- Walsall – White / Green / White, White / Red / White, White / Red / Red. White / Red / Green
- 12 Teams wore just Home, Away, 3rd (or Special) Kits
- 17 Teams worn no variation of kits
- Bradford City wore 4 kits with no variations
- 3 Teams in just Home and Away kits
- Mansfield Town wore two “Away” Kits, debuting their 2022 / 23 Away Kit in the final away league game of the season
- Most worn Home Kit – 40, Mansfield Town
- Most worn Away Kit – 19, Colchester United (22 including the one other variation used)
- Most worn 3rd Kit – 14, Salford City and Tranmere Rovers (who wore 3rd Kit 14 times in total. 13 default look and 1 variation)
Below is a graphic of what kits where worn against what teams, its one that I share on a weekly basis on my Twitter Account – @Kit_Geek
Kit Highlights and Summary
In 2021/22 League Two teams wore 86 Kits, this was a huge reduction in the number kits compared to last season where 117 Kits were worn. The reduction is linked to the number of times teams had variations of their kits, with only 15 variations of Home, Away, 3rd kits used (7 of which worn by Walsall) compared to 50 variations from the default look used in 2020 / 21 season.
Two Teams, Colchester United and Harrogate Town wore change kits in all 23 away game. Colchester United in their away kit for 22 times and 3rd Kit once, where Harrogate Town had more of an even split with their Away Kit used 11 times and 3rd Kit worn 12 times.
Stevenage had two different Home Kits through out the season, an inital kit which was only worn four times before their actual Home Kit for the season was used.
The was a subtle difference in sponsor layout and additional stripes across the chest of the shirt in the final home kit.
League Two was also the home of “Special Kits” in 2021 / 22, with four teams wearing a special kit for a variety of reasons.
Bradford City – Limited Edition 4th Shirt
Colchester United – Ukraine Solidarity Kit
Northampton Town – 125th Annivesary Kit
Stevenage – Season Ticket Holder Tribute Kit
Walsall worn a remarkable 10 different kit variations, using elements of the Home, Away and 3rd kits to build these variations, I have gone into detail about this in a seperate article which you can find here
Mansfield Town wore their home kit for 40 games through out the season, the most of any team in the top four English Leagues, only wearing their away kit six times including debuting their 22 / 23 Away kit in their final away of the season at Salford City.
There we have it, League Two’s End of Season Kit report for 2021/22, please let me know your favourite kit highlights from this division on the comments below or over at Twitter – @Kit_Geek
You can find other End of Season Reports below.